Thursday, July 15, 2010

WIKI
Ease of use:
The wiki is very simple to use, very intuitive and offers opportunity for applications in the classroom. The context of content that is editable by anyone means that the use of a wiki must be carefully structured, and rules for use made explicit. I have to say that I found it a little frustrating- if I was trying to update a page at the same time as someone else - I either had to wait, or inadvertently erased someone else's work. Have a look at mine here.
Safety/Ethics:
I can see loopholes that could be used for cyber bullying right under a teacher's nose in the classroom with a wiki - with one student changing, or erasing another's work maliciously. So, although there are a lot of possible great uses, I will be approaching this one VERY carefully, until my understanding of it's capabilities is a lot more solid.
WEBSITE
Ease of use:
The site that we used to construct a website was awesome - very easy - very intuitive, and a finished product that looked extremely professional. You can have a look at my site here.
Safety/Ethics
This is quite a secure environment with the posts/pages made being read only. Students could create their own individual websites, or a class site could be created, with an interactive forum inserted to make a space for students to post their own contributions. Again, cyber bullying is a concern, so very strict guidelines must be in place for who can view these sites, and what type of information is posted.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I like what you said about cyber bullying. I hadn't considered that!

Becky said...

Hi Karen, I also had issues with the wiki page understanding how one would know who wrote what and if anybody would maliously delete anothers hard work. I also wondered if there was a way in which any user was still able to dominate the context of the page.Cheers Becky

matt_hollett said...

Unfortunately, it seems that cyberbullying can occur in almost all ICT components that invovle student communication which is a shame that as teachers we will have to be so vigilant to keep an eye on any possible problems that may arise.